Clear coats are an important part of any car’s paint job. The clear coat protects the paint from scratches, fading, and other environmental hazards. There are many different types of clear coats that you can choose for your vehicle depending on what the intended use is.
It is important to consider which type of clear coat will work best with your lifestyle in order to get the most out of its durability. In this article, we will review 5 top-rated best clear coats for cars found on Amazon so that you can make a better-informed decision when choosing one for yourself.
- 5 Best Clear Coats for Cars
- USC Spray Max 2k High-Gloss Clear Coat
- KBS Coating 8504 DiamondFinish Clear Coat
- Speedokote SMR-130/75-K-M – Automotive Clear Coat Fast Dry 2K Urethane. 4:1 Gallon Clearcoat Kit with Medium Act
- Speedokote Clear Coat 2K Acrylic Urethane. SMR-1150/1102-Q 4:1 Gallon Clearcoat Medium Kit
- SHERWIN WILLIAMS Finish 1 Automotive Refinish Ultimate Overall Clearcoat (FC720) 1 Gallon | Medium Universal Hardener (FH612)1 Quart Included
- What is the Strongest Clear Coat?
- What Type of Clear Coat is Used on Cars?
- What is the Difference Between a Lacquer and a Urethane Clear Coat?
- Why Should You Apply a Clear Coat to your Car?
- What are the Benefits of Using a High-Quality Clear Coat?
- How to Tell If You Have A Low-Quality Clear Coat?
- What are the Best Times to Apply a Clear Coat?
- When Should you Avoid Applying a Clear Coat?
- How do I Apply a Clear Coat?
- How Long Should I Wait After Painting my Car Before Applying a Clear Coat?
- Overall Winner
5 Best Clear Coats For Cars
Coming in at number one is: USC Spray Max 2k High-Gloss Clear Coat
This clear coat is great for protecting your car from scuffs, scratches, fading, and other environmental hazards. It has a high solid build that will not yellow over time. If you are looking to protect the paint on your car with an easy spray application then this may be the right choice for you. This product can easily be applied by almost anyone as long as they follow the instructions.
If you are looking for a clear coat with high durability and ease of use then this may be an ideal choice. Although this product is very reputable, it does come with a few cons which are that some people have complained that the product does not cover well and leaves streaks, while others have said that it caused their paint to peel.
Coming in at number 2 is: KBS Coating 8504 DiamondFinish Clear Coat
This product comes highly recommended and ranks second on our list of top five best car paint coats. This product has been manufactured by a professional detailer who has years of experience with this product. This product offers the highest durability of any clear coats that we have come across which is why it ranks second on our list.
It offers superior protection against scratches, fading, scuffs, and other environmental hazards. If you are looking for an extremely protective coating then this may be the right choice for you. Although this product is of high quality and a great product to use, there was one con to this product which was that it is a little more difficult to apply than some of the other clear coats on this list
Coming in at number 3 is Speedokote SMR-130/75-K-M – Automotive Clear Coat Fast Dry 2K Urethane. 4:1 Gallon Clearcoat Kit with Medium Act
This product is the top-rated clear coat on Amazon and has an excellent rating to back it up. If you are looking for a fast-drying, low VOC, high durability, scratch-resistant coating then this may be the right choice. This product can easily cover any car in under 30 minutes which makes it very easy to apply quickly.
If you’re searching for a high-quality solution that’s simple to put up, this may be the product for you. Although it does come with some pros, there were a few cons reported with this product. Some people said that it caused their paint to peel, while others said that the finish was not overall the best.
Another downfall to this product was that it comes in a kit and requires an additional activator which can be expensive. All in all, this product is a great choice and we would recommend it if you’re looking for something easy to apply for.
Coming in at number 4 is: Speedokote Clear Coat 2K Acrylic Urethane. SMR-1150/1102-Q 4:1 Gallon Clearcoat Medium Kit
This product is one of the most affordable clear coats available on Amazon. The manufacturer KBS Coatings is rated very high by their customers and also offers a satisfaction guarantee which means that if you are not satisfied with your product, they will give you a full refund no questions asked.
Additionally, this product can be applied to any car within 30 minutes which makes it not only cost-efficient but also a time saver. The downside to this product is that it does not receive as high of a rating from its customers on Amazon because it is not as durable and does not offer the same protection as you would get from a higher-priced product.
Coming in at number five is SHERWIN WILLIAMS Finish 1 Automotive Refinish Ultimate Overall Clearcoat (FC720) 1 Gallon | Medium Universal Hardener (FH612)1 Quart Included
This product is great for many reasons. It is one of the highest-rated products on Amazon and has a fantastic rating to back it up. This product can be applied over any color without fear of discoloration which makes application easy.
Additionally, this product offers excellent protection from scratches, fading, scuffs, etc. The only downfall to this product was that some customers have complained about its low coverage.
What Is The Strongest Clear Coat?
Out of all of the clear coats that we have reviewed, the strongest clear coat would have to be the KBS Coating 8504 series Diamond Finish Clear Coat. This automobile clear coat is highly resilient and can withstand scratches, fading, or other elements of the environment. If you want long-lasting transparent paint this may be the ideal option for you.
What Type of Clear Coat Is Used On Cars?
The best type of clear coat for cars is a urethane clear coat. This type of clear coat is very durable and can withstand many different environmental hazards that may occur. Additionally, it is resistant to fading and scratches which makes it the perfect option for cars.
What is the difference between a lacquer and a urethane clear coat?
Lacquer is a type of clear coat that is not as durable as urethane. It typically chips or scratches very easily and is not resistant to the elements. Urethane, on the other hand, is much more durable and can withstand many different environmental factors such as fading.
Why Should You Apply A Clear Coat To Your Car?
Applying a clear coat to your car is important for many reasons. One of the most important reasons is that it will protect your paint from scratches, fading, and other elements of the environment. Additionally, it will help to keep your car looking new for longer.
What are the benefits of using a high-quality clear coat?
The benefits of using a high-quality clear coat are that it will help to protect your car from the elements as well as keep your vehicle looking new for longer. This means that you can save money on expensive detailing services and stay away from the hassle of having to take your car into a shop often.
How To Tell If You Have A Low-Quality Clear Coat?
The easiest way to tell that you have a low-quality clear coat is by the number of scratches and chips that are visible on the surface. Additionally, if your clear coat is peeling or flaking off, it is likely a low-quality product.
What Are The Best Times To Apply A Clear Coat?
The best times to apply a clear coat are typically right after you have painted your car or when you have performed a detailing service. When you apply a clear coat over your newly painted car, it will help to keep the paint protected and look new for longer. The only downside to this is that it might make your vehicle appear showroom-fresh at first glance, which means you’ll need to give it a wash.
When Should You Avoid Applying A Clear Coat?
If you should avoid applying a clear coat is typically when your car is experiencing other weather-related hazards such as rain or snow. This can make it more difficult to apply the product evenly and could result in streaks, water spots, etc. It’s also important not to apply a clear coat during inclement weather because this too can cause streaking on your vehicle.
How do I apply a clear coat?
The process of applying a clear coat is by:
- Cleaning the surface of your car with soap and water
- Make sure that you remove all dirt, dust, or debris from the surface before applying the clear coat.
- Use a high-quality cleaner to make sure that the surface is free of any oils or waxes.
- If there are any defects in the paint then you need to make sure that you fix them before applying the clear coat.
- Allow the surface to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Applying the primer
- The primer should be applied in a thin, even coat.
- Make sure to allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- If you are using a self-etching primer, then you do not need to apply an additional layer of primer.
- If you are not using a self-etching primer, then you should apply a coat of etching primer to the surface.
- Allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- If you are using a two-part epoxy primer, then make sure to mix both parts before applying it to the surface.
- Apply the primer in a thin layer to ensure that it is even.
- Make sure to allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Apply multiple thin layers if necessary until you achieve an opaque appearance.
- Apply the clear coat
- Make sure to apply a thin, even layer of the clear coat.
- Allow it to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- If you are using a urethane clear coat then make sure that there is no flash time between coats or layers (if you attempt to add a second layer before the first has dried, it will not adhere properly).
- If you are using a lacquer clear coat then make sure to wait at least 15 minutes between coats.
- Allow the clear coat to dry
- Make sure that you give it enough time to cure before moving on to the next step.
- Protect your car and enjoy
- If you are using a urethane clear coat then make sure to apply wax or an additional layer of sealant.
- Make sure that the surface is clean before adding any other items such as accessories, decals, stickers, etc.
How long should I wait after painting my car before applying a clear coat?
You should wait at least two weeks after painting your car before applying a clear coat. This will give the paint time to fully cure and allow any dirt or debris to be removed before applying the clear coat.
So now that we have gone over the five best clear coats for your car and how to apply a clear coat, the question remains is, what is the best clear coat for your car? The answer is, it depends on what you are looking for in a product.
If you are wanting a high-quality, durable, and scratch-resistant coating then KBS Coating 8504 will be the perfect choice for you. However, if you are looking for an affordable and high-quality product then you are going to want to go with Speedokote Clear Coat.
Speedokote Clear Coat is a great option for those that are looking for a fast-drying, low VOC clear coat. The best part about all of these products is that they can all be purchased at your convenience through Amazon.
There are many Clear Coats that are on the market today and it can be very difficult to determine the best clear coat for your car, however, we have provided you with a list of the top five best clear coats that are currently available. Out of all of these products, our favorite would have to be KBS Coating 8504 series Diamond Finish Clear Coat.
This product is highly resilient and can withstand many different environmental hazards. Additionally, it offers excellent protection from scratches, fading, or other external elements. If you are looking for long-lasting and transparent paint, this may be the perfect option for you.
Thanks for reading. Please comment down below if you have any questions.